Thursday, July 1, 2010

Weed Update




A few weeks ago I tested vinegar as a weedkiller in my "Dealing With Weeds" post.







This is what the weeds looked like before I sprayed them.




I sprayed all the weeds in my walk and drive with vinegar and waited. The next day many looked dead and the grass was turning brown, so it did affect them. It did not, however, kill them. It rained about two days later and a lot of the grass and weeds came back.






This is what they looked like a week later. Smaller but still there, green and growing.

Maybe I didn't saturate them enough? I don't know. I think my mother in law told me that she pours it on the plants that grow on her driveway to kill them. Maybe the vinegar should be poured on the plant rather than sprayed lightly on the leaves? I will talk with her further.

I have not yet used it on the big weeds. I may try that this weekend.





12 comments:

The JR said...

I resort to the heavy duty stuff for my fence line. It's the only way to get rid of it.

The wines look pretty.

Rose H (UK) said...

I use ordinary kitchen salt on weeds. A teaspoonful poured onto the centre of the weed usually does the trick first time round - even after a shower!

icebear said...

my lilac wine is about the same color as yours. i think i like it that color. yours looks nice next to the dandelion wine, and the rose petal wine will make a nice color too.

Granny said...

The wine looks great.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I have heard that about salt too. I mightam going to try salt on the big weeds. I am trying to avoid anything on the rock path and the drive that will hurt the pet's feet or them, if its licked off so I haven't used salt there.

Nice to know the lilac wine is the right colour and there's nothing wrong with it.

Mr. H. said...

So the vinegar does work, I have never tried it on weeds but have thought about doing so. Thanks for testing it out and sharing your findings with us.:)

Your wine looks amazing, something else we need to try one of these days. I love the idea of dandelion, lilac, and rose petal wine.

Sarah Rachelle said...

I know this can damage concrete and maybe rocks? but I use boiling water. We had a big stinging nettle growing next to our steps. I had just finished canning, so I carefully poured the water onto the plant. It immediately wilted and eventually turned black. No reappearance of the plant at all! I'd like to try the vinegar and salt too, as pouring boiling water can be splashy and quite dangerous for sandaled feet.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I am going to try the boiling water, Sarah! Thanks for the info!

Unknown said...

Oh. Were those weeds? Ha. But they look so cute! (Yeah, I know, they get out of control...)
I heard that salt water can get rid of weeds too. Maybe you could try a combo of salt AND vinegar?
Oooh, the rose wine... how awesome!
Thanks for the inspirational pics :)

DayPhoto said...

I think I will try the salt trick Rose mentions. The vineger works, but you HAVE to stay after it. Boiling hot water works also.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

MikeH said...

Lower concentrations of 5 and 10 percent were more effective in killing the weeds during the early stages while at later stages they were not as effective as the 15 and 20 percent concentrations. Vinegar provided 95-100 per cent kill at all growth stages of the weeds studied at 15 and 20 % concentrations.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Interesting, Mike! I might give the vinegar a try on the big weeds this week.