Sunday, August 22, 2010

Making Pickles


We had a break from fence building today, due to the rain so I had a chance to make pickles from all those cucumbers I picked in the garden last week. When I picked them, I didn't really have pickles in mind, I just picked what was there.

Many of the cucumbers I picked are too large for pickles, having gone to seed with a watery center. The larger ones had enough solid flesh to make long strips after the seedy center was cut out. I was making long sandwich pickes, anyway. We love the Strub's garlic dill sandwich pickles and I have their recipe from their website!





I sliced all of the cucumbers into long slices with my very old "Vegematic". We don't have a slicer but plan to buy a slicer "one day soon", along with a lot of other things we can use. We do have a 20 year old vegetmatic, however, that makes slices, julienne, fries, etc. and works very well. It made short work of the cucumber slicing for today's pickles.




After slicing enough cucumbers to fill all 8 quart jars, I had this scrap left. Some will be saved for salad and sandwiches, the rest will go tino the compost.


This is the Strub's Sandwich Pickle Recipe

Make brine: 6 ml salt, 250 ml vinegar, 1 litre water (x3 for 8 quarts).
Into each jar put 4 cloves garlic chopped and 2 tablespoons dill. I used fresh dill.
I put two cloves of chopped garlic with 1 tablespoon dill into the bottom of each sterilized jar. Stiffed as many sliced cucumbers into the jar as I could and topped with another 2 cloves of chopped garlic and another tablespoon dill.

I put all the jars into my waterbath canner, covered with 1/2" of water and boiled for 10 minutes. When they were cooled I heard the seals pop, removed the lids and put away into the pantry.




In a week I will open a jar and try them! We are all excited about these pickles as we love the commercial Strub's garlic dill sandwich pickles.




5 comments:

Patrice said...

My cucumbers didn't do well this year, so I will miss my pickles. I guess I should be glad that anything grew with the drought we had and unusually high temperatures. I'm looking forward to the fall garden and my winter greenhouse.

The JR said...

Dills are my favorites!

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I hope theses turn out well! I have never tried this simple recipe before and I made 8 quarts of them. We love pickles on sandwiches!

We will open our first jar to try them next week. The recipe says they can be eaten the next day, but we will wait a week. I am sure they will get better with age.

Leigh said...

I hadn't thought of cutting my cukes like that for pickles. But it makes sense as they'd be so much better for sandwiches!

Sheryl at Providence North said...

This is the way Strub's cuts their sandwich pickles. It works well!