Monday, November 22, 2010

Soap Making and Buck


I have been making soap for the Craft Fair on Dec 4th. I made three small batches just this morning and a few last week. I am cooking it so it will be ready to use. Soapmaking is fun and so addictive!! I took this picture (above) of my soap last year. It's for my book on "Making Organic Soap at Home" that I have for sale on my farm site. I like doing photo shoots of things. It's a fun hobby!

This is one shelf in the soap closet in the bathroom where I dry all my soap. It contains strawberry, lilac and "blueberry pie". The strawberry is not as pink as I would like. It's a bit too peachy buy I have always had a problem getting a good strawberry soap colour. I have had good, pink soap before but it always seems to be something other than strawberry. When I aim for real pink, I can't get it. Oh well, "Murphy's Law". If anyone finds out where this "Murphy" lives, please let me know. I have a thing or two to say to that fellow!




The "Blueberry pie" soap is my favourite this year! It was a rebatching experiment to save a soap with a colour that I did not like. I am very happy with the way it turned out!











This is the other shelf in my soap closet with this year's soap on it. It contains "almond biscotti", coconut, "healing herb" and "sweet orange". The "healing herb" soap is made with oil of oregano and thyme - both natural antibiotics. Some of these soaps are made with milk, which is why they are browner.




The "almond biscotti" is my favourite soap scent! It's amazing and always sells out first.

These are for the craft fair at Base Borden on December 4th. I now have all the pumpkin pies, brown sugar body scrub and soaps completed for the sale. I like to have it done ahead of time. I am a bit rushed this year, but next year I am going to start in January making things for the fall sales! I always say that...

8 comments:

Clayton said...

Does Cesar Milan have anything to say about this problem?

The soaps look great.

Tonia said...

The soap is beautiful!!!
Sorry about the dog problem! Is he an LGD breed? Most of them have a need to wander and guard.. WE had one that was Komondor/Grt Pyrenees and he could climb panels 5ft No problem!
Hope you can figure it out..

Sheryl at Providence North said...

He's a pure great pyrenees. I'll havea to see what Ceser Milan has to say. Maybe a hot wire will keep him in.

Unknown said...

Love your soap. I need to cook up some more for gift giving. On the dog problem, we have found that the electric fence/ shock collars work like a miracle. We never have to worry about them anymore, they are always in the yard now. You have to work with them a bit (about 2 weeks) so you don't have any break throughs, but they definately work great. We recently had a neighbor whose dogs got out and were missing for 4 days. They were found 10 miles away on a busy highway. They are lucky to have gotten them back at all and are now installing the fence and training with the collars. Good Luck!

Sheryl at Providence North said...

We did a lot of training with him an dhis brother, whom we no longer have, when we got the fence. They were only about 6 mos old too and easy to train. It worked great for a long time, until Buck grew his adult neck ruff.

Great pyrs have a very thick outdoor coat with a downy undercoat next to their skin and a ruff around the neck. He started putting his head down and slowly walking through the fence a few months ago. I don't know if he just decided that it was not going to deter him or he no longer felt it as strongly because of his adult fur. Great pyrs do have a strong, independant personality.

He knows perfectly well that he's not allowed outside the fence. He looks all around and watches the house for a few minutes before he escapes and he won't go through when anyone is watching. He's just stubborn. The Great Pyr site does say that an electronic fence will not work with great pyrs. I read that after I installed it, of course.

We are going to use a live wire, about 1.5 ft off the ground, attached to the fence. The fence will keep him from jumping over it and he won't be able to climb the fence or go under without touching the wire.

JenW!~ said...

Love the soap. I want to make some but will wait til after the Christmas holiday to do so. Hope you get your doggie situation worked out soon.

The JR said...

As I already told you, it was the only (absolutely only) way we kept our huskies in the back yard.

Just be sure to get a tester and make sure you have it hot all the way around and that you haven't accidently grounded it out somewhere.

Very lucky that you got him back and that nothing happened to him....

Unknown said...

I’ve heard a bunch of great things about Havahart Wireless. Their radial-shape wireless dog fences cover one and a half football fields in all directions and there isn’t any wires or digging…I’m thinking that would work great for me.