Sunday, January 30, 2011

Delicious, Moist Strawberry Cake



This truly is the most delicious and moist strawberry cake I have ever eaten!
It's another cake recipe from my mother. This is not exactly a "scratch" cake
because you do use a cake mix but you add other ingredients and don't use the
recipe on the box. I have a few cake recipes like that.

Strawberry Cake
1 white cake mix, ignore directions on box
1 tablespoon flour
1 package strawberry jelly powder (Jello)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
4 eggs

Directions: Mix the cake mix, flour, jelly powder, vegetable oil, water and strawberries together thoroughly. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Divide mix between three greased round cake pans or bake in one long 9" x 12" greased pan. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Add frosting when completely cooled. Strawberry frosting recipe below.

Strawberry Frosting
1/4 cup soft butter
3.5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped strawberries

Put sugar and strawberries in bowl first. Mix together well. Slowly add water a tiny bit at a time, until desired consistency is reached. If the icing is too thin add a bit more sugar.

13 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Ooooh, that looks good! And I think I have everything on hand. Did mean strawberry gelatin powder, not strawberry jelly powder?

Mom2fur said...

Oh, never mind my question. I read your post on Bavarian Cream and got my answer!

Sheryl at Providence North said...

You need to use Strawberry Jello, I buy generic.

Granny said...

That looks delicious. I'm off to the store tomorrow and will be getting some strawberry jello. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hazel said...

That cake looks so yummy. I am going to try your recipe.

Lisa said...

Oooh, a double strawberry treat. This looks superb. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

Anonymous said...

1/2 of what of strawberries in the frosting? Cup.... I am thinking.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Yes, 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries in the frosting! Thank you! I fixed it in the post.

DayPhoto said...

Oh! YUMMMM! Thank you so much!

I have a birthday in February that this will be perfect for!

Linda
http://coloraodfarmlife.wordpress.com

The JR said...

OMG....looks sinful.

I wish I had seen this in time to take to the banquet on Sat. nite.

Cher' Shots said...

This reminds me so much of a cake my mother makes using raspberries. Can't wait to try your recipe.
'hugs from afar'

Strawberry Steve said...

This is very similar to a "strawberry poke cake", where a cake is baked, then holes are poked in the top and strawberry gelatin that hasn't set up yet is poured over the cake. The cake is put in the fridge, and the gelatin sets up inside the cake.
But I think your cake is a lighter, fluffier cake. I really like it! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Hi Strawberry Steve! I have made cakes like that. They are very moist and good!