Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rhubarb Blooms


My rhubarb is blooming! I have been waiting for this. :-) What comes with blooms? SEEDS! I will have hardy rhubarb seeds for sale this fall!


It's ready to start cutting now too. I'm going to start today, chop it freeze it and then make wine out of it when I have time. I also plan to make pies, cobbler and maybe jelly and so forth. I have a lot of rhubarb!


















Looks like the strawberries are also blooming! Hmmmmmmm... Those don't look like strawberry blooms to me. Who put forget-me-nots in the strawberries!

7 comments:

The JR said...

Neat!

Looks like you are going to have plenty of both.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I think so, too! I have collected 1.5 gallons so far, chopped and in the freezer. I'd like to get 5 gallons for the wine.

Linda Stubbs said...

Hi, haven't been by for some time. Have a new job to help keep our farm. smile. We are home for summer.

Could you please tell me how long you let your bloom go before you gather the seeds? Also what you do with the seeds when they are harvested. I didn't know this.

Hope your summer is going well. Loveeeeee rhubarb. Just put up Strawberry/Rhubarb Jam. Recipe along the side bar.It is sooooooo delicious.

Blessings, Linda

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Hi Linda! I have been told that the seeds are ready just about 4 weeks after they bloom but will fall off immediately, so it's best to bag them or cut them early and let them dry on a screen of hanging in a paper bag somewhere.

This is my first year with rhubarb blooms.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheryl:

I just bought a potted rhubarb plant from the nursery. It has several large leaves and some small ones developing. Do you know if it will bloom the first year that I plant it?

Michelle's Green Thumb said...

Hi Sheryl!
What do you feed your rhubarb plants? I've got 6 - all of various ages & since they've all had a hard start to life, I know I won't be harvesting large amounts for a few more years, but I want to feed them well this year...

ps - did you manage to have anything positive happen with the salal??

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Hi Michelle! The salal hasn't come up this year yet, but I'm still hoping!

I fed my rhubarb chicken manure :-)