Friday, September 9, 2011

Great Gluten Free Muffins!


These are fantastic muffins! They rise high and are tender, moist, delicious - and gluten free - without expensive xantham gum!
Some of these flours are hard to find. I got most of the ingredients at my local bulk food store. It is one of my favourite places to shop with so many varietes! I always come home with a bag full every time I go.


I gound my own sunflower seeds and the millet to make millet flour. I used what is basically my coffee bean grinder but will grind just about anything. It does a great job and is so quick and easy to use!






Gluten Free Carrot, Raisin, Banana, Nut Muffins

  • 1/2 cup ground almonds

  • 1/3 cup ground sunflower seeds

  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds

  • 3/4 cup brown rice flour

  • 1/4 cup corn flour (white or yellow)

  • 1/4 cup millet flour (I grind my own)

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger

  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

  • 1/4 cup white sugar

  • 1/2 cup raisins

  • 1/2 cup grated carrot

  • 3 tablespoons oil

  • 1/2 cup whole milk (or 2% with a teaspoon butter or cream added)

  • 2 eggs

  • 2 small or 1 large banana


Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix all the wet ingreadients in another large bowl with mixer. Slowly and gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones. Be very gentle and only mix them until they are all combined. Do not over mix.

Fill muffin papers to the top. Makes 11 standard medium muffins.
Bake at 400 degrees F for approx 18 minutes.






This recipe is from "Mennonite Girls Can Cook".


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this ~ printed, ready to head to the kitchen! :)