Saturday, May 5, 2012

Seedlings in the Cold Frame

I have seedlings growing in my cold frame!
A lot of them! 

 

These are my Hopi black squash seeds. They are doing very well. With all the rain and warm weather we have had lately, everything is healthy and growing well! 

 

I also have a couple of striped cushaw squash and about a dozen sweet dumpling plants. 

 

I have 62 tomato seedlings now! I have never planted that many before! They are all organic, mostly heirloom tomatoes. I planted 2-4 of each kind and I have dozens of different varieties!

 

These are purple hyacinth beans. I have several of them growing and doing well. These are a beautiful, flowering 

annual vine!

 


I also planted several nasturtiums coming up. They are annuals so won't go into the ground until the end of May.

 

They are all in the cold frame now. They can go into the garden the first of June. Our last frost date is May 24, but I always wait another week before planting out. 

 






8 comments:

The JR said...

Lots of good stuff!

We planted our garden earlier than ever before this year.

Anonymous said...

My Hopi Black are also doing well. I've already planted mine out, but they are about the same size as yours. I really feel like this is going to be a great squash year. :)

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I hope so! Glad to hear you have some growing. It's a little frightening to be the only person I know with these seeds! I'd hate to lose them from our seed base!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm surprised you are too. I will try my best to save some pure seed and spread it around as best i can. I saw this variety once at our local fair once (sometime between 1999-2001). But i didn't know it was a rare squash back then.

Perhaps you should consider donating some seeds to http://seeds.ca/ . I'm hoping to eventually donate seeds to my local seed libraries.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

That's a good idea. I'm going to look into that!

keen101 said...

Hello again Sheryl,

Hope your squash are doing well. My Hopi Black are doing fantastic!

Not sure if your interested or not, but apparently silver mottled leaves are apparently rare in Cucurbita Maxima. I could only find one reference to it online in a hard to obtain variety called "zuni". Since it's so rare in Maximas i'm curious if the two are actually the same variety.

Whatever the case, i really do enjoy the color of the foliage in Hopi Black, and it seems to be handling our conditions quite well here. I don't think i will grow any other squash varieties from now on either, unless they are crosses with it.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I tried to Google "Zuni" squash and only got pages and pages of a Zuni squash necklace. lol! I don't know if they are the same or not. It is a different Indian tribe but they could have the same squash. I just don't know. I'd have to see the "Zuni" squash to tell you. I have three different ones growing, one from each family. I did plant one from the 4th family but they didn't come up. So I won't have crossing problems either.

I have some Hopi pale gray seeds that I have not grown because they are also maximas. I need to find someone who wants to grow those and keep them pure (no other maximas within 500m) or bag/tie the blossoms.If anyone is interested, pls let me know.

Cher' Shots said...

Looking good! We planted 30 tomato plants this year, when we usually do about 6. Should be interesting!
'hugs from afar'