Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Sweet Potato Slips


These are my sweet potato slips. You can see how I started them myself in the post on "Growing Sweet Potatoes In The North".

I just started one of these small trays yesterday. I put them all out into the little greenhouse yesterday but they didn't fare that well. I guess they could have used more hardening off. I brought the new, not yet rooted ones back into the kitchen today. After a day and a night in the greenhouse, they all looked a bit wilted.

This is my first year growing sweet potatoes. Growing my own slips has gone well, so far. I hope the planting and growing in the garden goes as well! I still have another month to add to these before they all go into the ground!

3 comments:

The JR said...

Hopefully they'll perk back up.

Mr. H. said...

An excellent article on growing sweet potato slips. We just transfered ours above the woodstove, thanks so much for the good advice.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Ramona, If you mean they will grow taller, they do, and I cut them off to make more slips.

They don't look like this anymore. I put them outside on the top shelf of the greenhouse in the full sun. They wilted and turned brown. They look better now but there are some brown leaves and I may have lost a few newly rooted ones. :-(

I have been covering them up to shade them in afternoon for the past few days, since that first day. They are recovering.

I'm just too impatient to be a farmer.