Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Our Asparagus


Our asparagus is finally ready!

Its really past ready as you can see. I cut it about three days ago then got busy. Oops! Looks like I am one day too late for a few of these. Oh well, I need to let 3-4 stalks grow to maturity for the health of the plant.





I did cut a good bunch today. I cooked them slightly, cut off the tips and put them in a salad for dinner. I wolfed down the bottoms. They were so good with a pinch of salt! I like cooked vegetables in tossed salad. I put all the left over vegetables in a salad the next day. Its all good!




The above photo is the older end of our asparagus bed. This is the new end. I planted these from seed three springs ago, so these are three years old.











Some have pencil sized stalks and so could be cut, but most are still too small. I moved them last summer when they were still growing, so they suffered a bit of a setback. We get a few meals worth of asparagus from the older bed anyway, I just wanted to add to it.



Seed is by far the cheapest way to grow things, if you have the time to wait for it.





The older bed was here when we moved in. It is not a wild bed because it is planted in a circle and has purple tipped asparagus. The best kind! You can sometimes find a wild asparagus bed along the sides of a country road or in a field, but they are rare here.



Fresh spring asparagus is one of my favourite vegetables! After a stale winter, a fresh picked veggie of anykind is very welcome!

6 comments:

Somerhill said...

YUM! I've been picking ours for about 3 weeks. My bed is 6-7 years old. We usually get enough for dinner each night during the season. I just wrap it in plastic wrap with a sprinkle of water and salt and steam it briefly.
Last night, we had asparagus and morels given me by a forestry consultant at work. Double YUM!

The JR said...

We luv our bed too!

Wow, Somerhill, morels neat! I've wanted to try them forever, but they are not available around here.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I have wanted to try them too! They do grow here, in the wild, at a time when we are just too busy to take off looking for them, unfortunately. Maybe next year...

jbest123 said...

They look great I have another year before I can cut, Can't wait.

DayPhoto said...

You planted from SEEDS! I could never get seeds to grow here. I do use the roots though.

They look really good!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I just obught the package of seeds a tthe store and sprinkled them in the row directly in the garden, covered lightly, watered and waited. They came up that summer and did ok.

I moved them to a sunnier location that fall, then moved them again last summer.

You should try again! If I can grow them from seed, I'm sure you can too.

I could cut a few of them this year, but they are still mostly too small, probably from being moved mid summer last year. Anyway, it will probably be 3-4 years from seed before they are edible size.