Sunday, May 9, 2010

Snow In May!


Well, I woke up today, on Mother's Day of all days, to snow on the ground! Can you believe it! Snow! In May, for Pete's sake! Never before in my lifetime have I seen snow past mid April, never!

The picture above is my beloved berry garden covered in snow :-(
I was going to pick more dandelions and cut the grass...

One would think that we would be so used to 3 feet of snow that it wouldn't bother me, but this is not the case. I think that we here in the Great Lakes snow belt have so much of it all winter, that we rejoice in its absence even more when spring finally arrives, supposedly for good. One cannot spend two weeks in bare feet and flip flops to suddenly be immersed in winter boots and coats again. ITS NOT FAIR!!!!

The pups seem undaunted by the snow. Jake ran along the ground with his tongue out, licking it up. They are still jumping and playing out there, but I have noticed that they spend more time snuggled together in their large, warm doghouse on the porch than they did in the warm weather. Great Pyranees dogs have a double coat with a down like fur against their bodies, for the coldest winters. Adult dogs will often sleep outside in the snow, but these guys are just babies and are not used to it.





This is my deck and Barbecue. It doesn't look very inviting, does it?








Last, but definately not least, is my little greenhouse. The temperature is forecasted to be at freezing tonight (0c, 32f). Will my seedlings be ok out there? Should I bring in my favourite peppers. sweet potato and tobacco seedlings? I think I will do that today. Everything looks ok in the greenhouse but I don't want to take chances with my best stuff.

The coldframe is completely buried.

We won't even go there :-(

7 comments:

Roasted Garlicious said...

that is just wrong!!!! Mother Nature's bad joke!!!! i do hope your little seedlings are okay....

Joyful said...

I feel for you. It has been fairly coolish here where I live and constant rain. This week we finally have temperatures that go up to 16 Celsius...and hopefully will get warmer. In the province next to me they had a huge snowstorm a few days ago. Unreal. I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day anyway. Stay nice and warm indoors :-)

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Thanks guys! It is better this afternoon. The sun is out, the snow is gone and it is warmish, sort of.

Dk's Wife said...

Boy, I will not complain that the past two mornings have been in the 40's here. Jeez. Hopefully it has already melted.

Take care,

Kay

The JR said...

Good Grief! Hope all your plants are okay.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Most of the plants are ok. I brought the very tender and special things indoors. I have been doing this for the past two nights too as it has dropped below freezing every night! The cold frame keeps the temp fairly steady, being in the ground, but some things were quite damaged in the little greenhouse.

The cantaloupe seedlings didn't make it so I have replanted those. The 4 o'clocks suffered some freezing damage, as well, but I think they will make it.

The temps for the next week are all above freezing, thank goodness! I have put everything back into the greenhouse, for now.

Northern Shade said...

Yes, it's hard to find the snow as attractive in May as in December. Plus, the May snowstorms are often extra heavy, bending over and breaking the soft new branches. It's a good thing your seedlings have their own greenhouse protection, even it's not as warm as a thick doggy fur coat.