Friday, April 6, 2012

Over Wintering Dahlias


In past years I have overwintered the dahlias in a plastic container or bag filled with wood shavings . The large roots are usually fine but I lose a lot of the little ones. New ones are usually too small to make it until spring, which is always a great disappointment! Last fall I had some little pieces and small, new dahlias that I didn't want to lose so I potted them up to grow indoors for the winter. 








I kept them as houseplants, sort of, in front of the south patio door. It gets as much light as is possible to get anywhere indoors, as it faces south and has no overhang. My kitchen is also freezing in the winter, which helps.










They sprouted and grew in the pots. They didn't grow fast, but they did grow and are picking up more now that spring is here with longer days and stronger light. I had no problems with them indoors in the winter at all! No bugs, no rot, nothing. I kept them on the dry side and, like I said, rather cold. I'm very pleased with the result!


I will be "storing" my small dahlias and little pieces like this through the winter from now on!

I love my 'Keri Blue' dahlia! Last fall I added a red one with yellow centers and tips and also a dark, rich purple dahlia with white tips. I am looking forward to getting huge blooms from them this year!









They make great cut flowers!

4 comments:

The JR said...

Ours usually are okay staying in the ground.

Great flowers, luv the colors you have.

Rose H (UK) said...

One plant I never have in the garden, but I do have memories of them. When I was 6 or 7 our headmaster decided that the school nneded a garden and each class took it in turns to care for the plants. I remember lifting the dahlias, trimming and washing the roots and placing them in sand in the potting shed to overwinter...good memories.
Wishing you and yours a very happy Easter.
Rose H

The Cranky said...

What a great idea to pot up the small ones; think I'll give it a try this year.

keen101 said...

Hey Sheryl,

Just thought I'd let you know that some of my squash seedlings are starting to come up and i hope to plant them out soon. I have seedlings for Hopi Black, Hopi White, and Wild Pueblo just emerging now. I look forward to a good squash year. I will have to learn to hand pollinate these with the tape method to keep some pure seed, but I'm also going to try one or two dedicated crosses as well. Anyway, wish me luck. I look forward to hearing about your Hopi Black again this year as well.

-Andrew