Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Wintersewing Success Story





Back in January, I posted about this year's wintersowing. You can read that post called, "Wintersowing". (I'm not big on fancy, complicated titles...)
That project was a success! I only got around to planting one thing in pots, the echinacea "Double Decker" and it's up! I did plant a lot more seeds in a cold frame. I will have to check those today to see if they have sprouted, as well!





I'm so thrilled!
The echinacea "Double Decker" looks like this.
OK, now that I know it does work, I will be trying other things next winter.








I have done wintersowing before but never had much success with it. I think it's because I used shallow trays (top picture) that dried out too quickly. This year I used a soda pop bottle cut in half.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to be more organized when it comes to sowing seeds. I haven't yet used a cold frame, but when I've planted indoors, it hasn't been too successful for a variety of reasons. I'm going to just direct sow into the gardens, this year, and pray that it will yield good growth!

Congratulations on your 200 followers! That's a milestone :-)

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Thank you, Brenda! It is a milestone! Especially considering that I have cut back on the posting this year so far.

The JR said...

Try, try again!

Glad it worked.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Me too! I have it indoors in a sunny window now, babying it until it's big enough to go outside in the garden. I'm hoping more sprouts will emerge soon, but at least I have one!