Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Today's Harvest



Spinach and rhubarb! I chopped the rhubarb and put it in the buckets in the freezer. I have almost enough now to make five gallons of rhubarb wine! I'll do another cutting at the end of June and that will be it. The plant needs to grow and nurish itself for the rest of the summer. I found the stalks to be a bit thinner this year. It needs to be fertilized. I think I will add a mulch of old sheep manure soon.



The spinach was chopped small and frozen under water in ice cube trays. When it is frozen solid, I will pop it out and put it in a big freezer bag with the previous spinach from this year.



It's so handy all year long in ice cube size servings from the freezer. I just toss a few of them into just about anything. It's very good for you!

2 comments:

The JR said...

Hurrah! Don't cha just luv it! I know I do when we get things that we've grown.

The other night we had eggplant, zuchinni and fried green tomatoes all garden fresh. So good!

Farmgirl Susan said...

Your spinach and rhubarb are beautiful! And I love the ice cube tray idea. I've only done that with basil pesto, never spinach. Brilliant. :)