Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fabulous Banana Muffins!




These truly are the best banana muffins I have ever eaten! They are dense, moist and have a lot of banana flavour while still rising quite high.


Here is the recipe:

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white sugar
2 cups mashed bananas (about 4-5 large bananas)
1 cup mayonnaise (Please use real mayonnaise here!)
1 cup chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds (optional)

Mix the dry ingredients together. Gently stir in the bananas and mayo. Fill the muffin cups full and bake in a preheated over at 350F for about 15 minutes if making small muffins. If making large ones (like the ones in these pictures) bake for 20-25 minutes. These are very large and took the full 25 minutes. Stick a toothpick into the center of the largest muffin. If it comes out dry they are done.


















Instead of walnuts, I often use dried impatiens gladulifera seeds. They taste just like walnuts and I grow a lot of them. They are good for you too!

I will need to make more muffins tomorrow. I plan to make several different kinds. I am making these again with nuts or glandulifera seeds, some squash muffins and some oatmeal/apple/cinnamon/maple muffins that we like. Muffins sell well around here. They are great for lunches!

Its a good way to use up all that squash too.



1 comment:

Fay McKenzie said...

Oh now I AM going to try them tomorrow - we'll probably be on a snow day so I'll be able to tempt the kids - thanks!