Monday, December 13, 2010

The Last of the Squash


This is the last of this year's squash from the basement cold cellar. The rest has been processed for the freezer, made into pies or given away. Some of these will last much longer, even into the new year but I am going to put them all into the freezer this week.

I had that job on the agenda for today, but, well, I just didn't feel like doing that. I'll do it tomorrow. (There's always tomorrow...) I made a massive lasagna and some apple, oatmeal, maple muffins today, as well as other things such as playing in the field with Buck to get him some exercise (in 2.5 ft of snow) and blowing out the the driveway, so I don't feel like the time was wasted. I also made a trip to the grocery store and the Bulk Barn. The Bulk Barn is my new favouite store! I could look for half a day and spend half a fortune in there! Shopping in the bulk food store makes me want to bake.

This is a new muffin recipe so I have no idea if they will be good or not. The recipe only made eight large muffins. If they turn out well I will make more soon and post it here. They sound good with the maple syrup in them. I love maple! It's my favourite flavour! It ranks at the top with very dark chocolate and dark chocolate-raspberry combinations, so I'm sure I'll like them but I won't be the one eating most of them. Hubby will be, so, we'll see how they do. They are in the oven right now, so I don't even know if I like them yet. They sure do smell good!

Tomorrow I will bake or peel and boil
these squash.

3 comments:

The JR said...

Beautiful. I like they way they look.

Sounds busy.

Granny said...

I love the squash with the red and green. Are they turk's cap?

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Yes, they are turk's cap, also called turban squash. They are great for fall decorating and they are good for eating too! That entire large part is solid squash. It just has a small seed cavity in the bottom. You get a lot of meat for the work.